If you’re a homeowner, you’ve likely got a long to-do list. One annual maintenance requirement that you may be missing? A chimney inspection. Unfortunately, failure to prioritize this task means you may be putting your home in danger.
What Is A Chimney Inspection?
During the process, a professional will assess your chimney (or venting system). They’ll be looking for potential issues that could lead to fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, or other dangerous issues caused by everything from leaks and cracks to creosote buildup and flue blockages.
Chimney Sweep Vs. An Inspection?
Wondering about the difference between these two similar tasks? A sweep specifically refers to the cleaning deposits that have accrued over time, while an inspection is dedicated to assessing the overall state of your venting system.
What Does A Chimney Inspection Include?
As set forth by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), there are three inspection levels with varying degrees of intensity.
- Level 1: The minimum annual recommendation, Level 1 inspections are general assessments for ongoing use under existing conditions.
- Level 2: Required for systems that have undergone any system changes, as well as after home sales, Level 2 comprises more extensive investigations of accessible exterior and interior portions.
- Level 3: When Level 1 or Level 2 reveals a potentially serious hazard, Level 3 may be recommended.
Do You Need Regular Chimney Inspections?
Fireplaces, stoves, and furnaces keep our homes toasty—however, they also come with fire and carbon monoxide risks. While there are steps you can take to reduce risk, regular inspections are an essential preventative measure.
How Often Do You Need One?
The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 211 Standard states that all chimneys, fireplaces, and vents should be inspected at least once a year, even if the system hasn’t been used. You should also consider it if:
- You’ve observed a change in your system’s performance.
- You’ve experienced a major weather event or another issue that could have caused damage.
- You’re thinking of making changes to your heating system.
- You’re selling your home.
- You’ve moved into a new home.
Chimney Inspection Services In Chicago
If you’re looking for the best in the Chicagoland area, look no further than Capital Chimney Corp. We are CSI- and NFPA-certified to provide all levels of inspection and offer a complimentary, multi-point safety check with every sweep service. Conducted by an expert technician, this includes thoroughly examining every feature of your fireplace system to ensure that it’s up-to-code and fire-worthy. Contact us for your free estimate today.