If you’re thinking of putting off your annual chimney inspection and repair until just before cold weather hits, you might want to think again. There are several reasons why it’s important to get your chimney problems taken care of in the fall rather than waiting until winter.
- Avoid The Risks Of A Dirty, Damaged Chimney
- Take Care Of Problems Before Cold Weather Hits
- Get Faster, Easier Repairs Done Before Busy Season
The Risks Of A Dirty Or Damaged Chimney
Chimneys and fireplaces require regular cleanings, inspections, and repairs. There are many risks of not keeping your maintenance up to date.
- Creosote buildup can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Creosote buildup can also result in fire.
- Damaged mortar joints can lead to a collapse.
- A cracked crown can cause water damage.
- Water damage can cause spalling bricks and shaling tiles.
- Spalling bricks can lead to a catastrophic structural failure.
- Shaling flue tiles can lead to a fire.
- Moisture from cracked flue tiles can cause erosion damage.
Avoiding More Cold Weather Damage
Harsh winter elements, including rain, sleet, and snow, will likely exacerbate existing damage. It’s much better to identify existing problems early and resolve them before the winds, hails, and snows.
Avoiding The Waitlist For Repairs
Another problem with putting repairs off is the potential to end up on a waitlist. Chimney repair companies tend to be busiest during the cold season.
Fall Is Chimney Repair Season For A Reason
Most masonry and flue repairs are best done during warmer weather. For instance, restoring damaged masonry requires a curing process that does not work well during extremely cold or wet weather. The curing process is also not recommended during scorching and humid weather.
We recommend scheduling your inspection, maintenance, and chimney sweep service in the fall rather than the hottest summer months.
- Crown & Masonry Repair
- Flashing Repair & Replacement
- New Installation & Major Rebuilds
- Chimney Liner Repair
- Flue Leak Repairs
Ready To Schedule Your Fall Inspection?
It’s fall. Make sure you can use your fireplace worry-free when winter comes around. Contact us at Capital Chimney Corp in Chicago now for an inspection and sweep so we can identify and resolve any issues you may have.