If you have unwanted visitors nesting in your chimney, don’t try to smoke them out, trap them, or lure them into your home – call Capital Chimney Corp, your Chicagoland chimney cleaning and animal removal company. We have the skills and equipment to safely remove all kinds of birds, rodents, and other animals from your chimney and can also help you prevent these invaders from returning in the future.
What’s That Sound…Or Smell?
Although an occasional squirrel may accidentally fall into your chimney and get trapped inside, in most instances, critters intentionally build their nests in your warm, cozy, protected chimneys. After all, your flue is safe from predators and inclement weather.
Female raccoons will look for nests like these right before giving birth. Birds, rodents including rats and mice, squirrels, and bats, also commonly build nests in chimneys.
Signs Something Is Living Inside Your Chimney
- Unusual Noises. Birds may screech or flap. Raccoons, squirrels, and rodents will make skittering or scrabbling sounds with their feet as they move around. If the noise is continuous or sounds frantic, then the animal may be stuck and will probably die if not removed ASAP.
- Physical Clues. Birds may leave behind feathers. Animals may shed fur, and all types of unwanted chimney occupants will leave behind droppings. You may see this evidence on the roof or in your fireplace. The last thing you want is for these animals to enter into your house, so be sure and keep your damper closed when your fireplace is not in use, and call a chimney animal removal service as soon as you can.
- Strange Smells. Living animals will bring vegetation or other food into your chimney or leave behind urine and droppings, the smells of which may eventually waft into your living space. A nasty odor coming from your chimney may indicate that an animal has already died inside. Even if it is not animal-based, a foul smell coming from your chimney is a sign that something is wrong, and you should call a reputable chimney company to come to inspect and clean your chimney and fireplace.
The Dangers Of Chimney Pests
Animals nesting in your chimney can create both health hazards and property damage. This is not an issue to ignore or tackle on your own. You want to make sure contamination is removed safely, and any damage is repaired properly.
- If nests block airflow, your family is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Nests can also cause chimney fires.
- Some pests carry rabies and other dangerous diseases as well as parasites.
- Animals entering the home, such as raccoons or rodents, may get into your food supply and may also chew on wiring.
Evict Those Chimney Pests
Do you suspect unwelcome visitors have taken up occupancy in your Chicago chimney? If so, don’t hesitate to reach out to Capital Chimney Corp today. Our professional chimney sweeps can safely remove animals and their nests, clean your fireplace and chimney to eliminate all traces of the former inhabitants and install a chimney cap to help prevent them from coming back. Call to schedule a chimney inspection service today.